Tuesday, December 18, 2012

2012 Author Wrap-Up with Nikki Loftin

Today Nikki Loftin officially announces her next projects!


GC: What is the best book you read in 2012?

NL: Wow. This one is HARD! I’ve read so much, and some of them have been works of genius. I have to pick two – and I could easily pick ten. 

Lynda Mullaly Hunt’s One for the Murphys simply destroyed me – I cried and laughed and cried again, and fell in love with her characters and Lynda, too. It’s exquisite. 

Lizzie Foley’s Remarkable was like eating a huge bowl of the world’s best sherbet – fizzy and fun and fast! I’ve hand-sold this one to every librarian I’ve talked to. 

GC: What was your favorite thing you wrote in 2012?

NL: I wrote the final revision (from the editorial letter) of my next novel, Nightingale’s Nest. This book means so much to me – it’s the “novel of my heart,” as writers sometimes say. It’s based loosely on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale “The Nightingale,” but it’s magical realism, rather than fantasy or fairy tale. I am full of hope (and fear) at how It will be received in the big wide world. When I wrote that last revision, I just knew I’d done it – gotten as close to my intent and vision for a piece as I could. It’s an amazing feeling. 

GC: What was your biggest writing struggle in 2012, and how did you overcome it?


NL: I’m in the middle of it! What I didn’t realize was how all-consuming the promotion of a debut novel can become.  Between blogging, school visits, festivals, and constant worrying (I’m sort of an expert at worrying), I’ve only written one and a half novels this year! I’m used to drafting at least three a year. I’ve set a goal to finish the draft of my next one by December 31, but that may be optimistic. If anyone has tips on how to avoid the promotion quicksand, chime in! I’m open to advice.

GC: What can readers expect from you in the new year?

NL: Well, I’m fairly certain the paperback of The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy will come out! (Fingers crossed.) And then, in early 2014, Nightingale’s Nest will follow. But if you want to know a secret… the next manuscript I’m writing is a fairy tale mash-up full of kissing and cussing. YA, baby!  The main character is Goldilocks, and she’s completely kick-butt. I am having so much fun with this one!  

GC: Write down your 'Writing Resolution of 2013!'

NL: My writing resolution is to go deeper: deeper into language, my characters’ thoughts, and my well of inspiration. 

No comments: